CHOCOLATE BANANA CARROT PATCH MUFFINS
This recipe is totally customizable to create with or without the chocolate covered strawberries. The chocolate banana muffins are packed with fibre, whole fruit and have a delicious fudgey chocolate finish.
We are proud to be partnering with Vancouver based Dietitian Crystal Higgins to bring you this simple, delicious and healthy recipe. Crystal loves to share how delicious, healthy food can fit into your busy schedule. Make sure to follow her for more healthy treats, nourishing eats and fitness feats.
This healthy, rich and decadent muffin is healthy enough to be eaten at breakfast or pose as a dessert. Have some fun and make them “Carrot Patch” muffins or cupcakes for an extra special spring treat.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 14 muffins 1x
- Category: Healthy Snack
- Method: Muffin Method
- ⅓ cup coconut oil or avocado oil
- 1 cup whole wheat or sprouted spelt flour
- 1 cup oats
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana (about 2–3 medium-large bananas)
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup or 1 pouch (190 ml) Gnubees Gone Bananas
- ⅓ cup honey or maple syrup
- ¼ cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup of white chocolate melts
- 1/4 tsp orange food colouring
- fresh organic strawberries, washed and dried
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Line a standard muffin pan with paper or silicone muffin cups, then lightly coat the cups with nonstick spray. Alternatively, I swear by the non-stick Pampered Chef Muffin Pan which requires no oil or spray and the muffins literally fall out. It is magical!!
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the whole wheat flour, oats, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
In a mixing bowl, add the mashed banana (if you are mashing the banana directly in the mixing bowl, double check that you have the correct amount), then whisk in the eggs, Gnubees Banana Pouch, honey, brown sugar, vanilla, and oil. If using coconut oil, melt this first in the microwave unless it is mostly in liquid form.
Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour the wet ingredients into it. With a rubber spatula or wooden spoon, stir gently to combine. The batter will look dry at first but will begin to come together as you go. Stop as soon as the dry ingredients disappear and don’t over mix. Fold in the chocolate chips.
Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin pan; the cups will be quite full and the tops will dome when the bake. Sprinkle with extra chocolate chips if desired.
Bake the muffins for 22 to 26 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin in the center of the pan comes out clean without any wet batter clinging to it. Test a few times to make sure the muffins are cooked through.
Remove the muffins from the oven and place them on a cooling rack. Let cool in the pan for a few minutes. Gently remove the muffins from the pan, allowing them to cool for about 15 minutes on a rack before eating, storing or creating your carrot patch.CARROT STRAWBERRIES:
- Melt the white chocolate in the microwave for 30-45 second increments until they are fully melted. Add the orange food colouring (you may combine yellow/red, I used a golden yellow gel colour and it became orange when added!). Turmeric is a natural orange/yellow dye, but it will also impart a flavour your kids may not like!!
- Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Dip each washed and dried strawberry into the melted chocolate mixture and place on the parchment paper. Once you’ve done 14-16 strawberries, the first ones will be dry enough to add the carrot “lines”. Simply take a small spoon and drizzle lines over the top. It doesn’t have to be perfect #perfectlyimperfect works here 😉
- Using a spoon, scoop out about a tablespoon size amount of chocolate muffin off the top. This will make a hole for the strawberry carrot to sit in. Decorate your tray or serving platter with the extra muffin pieces (or eat them!!).
Gluten Free: Use gluten free flour and gluten free oats
Egg Free: Use 2 Tbsp ground flax or chia seeds + 6 Tbsp of water